2020 is done… but not yet gone

2020 has finally ended, yet the memories of it will become a new reality in 2021. When you look back at all the facts and figures of Covid-19, and what appears to be low percentages of the total population, a couple of aspects can’t be figured in.

How many people do you know that lost a loved one? A child? A spouse? A friend? So maybe less than 10% of the population died, does that matter to the person who is grieving? Does it hurt any less that wearing a mask has become a national debate? Does it help to know that a vaccine is now here to the husband who goes to bed alone?

Covid became 2020 and it will be a part of 2021. That is a reality. How we behave while it is part of our lives is up to us. It should always be remembered that what comes out of our mouths can be extremely painful to someone who has buried their partner.

For those of us who have survived 2020, the future is still uncertain. The amount of lost businesses and jobs is staggering. In America, they’re arguing over a stimulus check of either $600 or $1,200. Let’s face it, neither one will help the average citizen for more then a couple of weeks.

For me, if there was a silver lining on 2020, it was that I was living in England. The government here created a payroll scheme that protected employees from forced layoffs due to Covid. When placed on furlough the government paid 80% of the employees wages, provided there job was guaranteed when businesses re-opened. The employers had the option of topping up the remaining 20% of an employees paycheck but it wasn’t mandatory.

For six weeks I received a full paycheck, yet never worked one minute. I got paid to stay home and protect my health and the health of others. During those six weeks, as an American citizen, I received a stimulus check of $1,200 from the American government, just because I am a citizen of the United States. And if that wasn’t enough I got a pay raise.

Plans and investments I wanted to make in 2020 were put on hold, yet that was OK, because I can have an even better portfolio when these investments are made.

It wasn’t all “peaches and cream” for me though. In May, I did lose my wallet. The nightmare of calling credit card companies and cancelling cards, then explaining which charges were legitimately mine, while stressful went as well as could possibly be under the circumstances. The worst thing I lost was my biometric card, which shows that I have a right to live and work in the UK. Obtaining a replacement card took some work. Yet again, with the lockdown rules in effect, under the circumstances it went better than expected.

At the end of the day, 2020 wasn’t to bad for me personally. I still have a job. I still have a home. After spending six weeks together, locked up in our home, my wife still loves me. The amount of time I spend on mass transit – buses and trains – I’ve avoided the Coronavirus.

I wear a mask, I social distance, and wash my hands. When in contact with someone, I keep it to under 15 minutes and our home has various windows open to keep the air fresh and never settled.

I realize that 2020 was far from a good year for many folks. I know for some it was a year of tragic loses – from jobs to loved ones. How may have lost their homes or the cars? May sound simple but “things” can be replaced. Cherish the memory of your loved one and the time you did have together. Those memories will live forever while Covid-19 will eventually go into our history of things that made us a more “whole being.”

As an introvert, the lockdowns that have become part of life in the UK, has not affected me. In fact, I’d like to think it has made me more of a spiritual being. There is a Native American saying that describes lockdowns and learning to live with one’s own company. A busy mind is a sick mind. A slow mind is a healthy mind. A still mind is a divine mind.

Enjoy the silence. Enjoy the time learning to love yourself. There is a being inside all of us, waiting to be awaken and when that happens is when our dreams begin to become our realities.

Published by Dave Harm

Recovering alcoholic-addict. Author of 3 books and 2 CD's. NLP Master Practitioner, Hypnotist, and Life Coach. Born in New Jersey, though I call Nebraska my American home. Moved to England in 2016 to prepare for my retirement.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: